10/16/11

God and Christ Loves you my Transgender Family!


In biblical times there were men who would exclude Transgender people (Eunuchs). This belief still exists among some men now. I just received this tweet from one of such men.

As promised I will now lead him to three places in the Bible where transgender people are specifically welcomed.

In the Old Testament.....

Enter the prophet of Isaiah 56. Speaking for God, he announced: "Do not let the foreigner joined to the LORD say, ‘The LORD will surely separate me from his people’; and do not let the eunuch say, ‘I am just a dry tree.’ For thus says the LORD: To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths . . . I will give, in my house and within my walls, a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off. And the foreigners who. . . hold fast my covenant -- these I will bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer. . .for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples" (56:1-7).

Contrasting Isaiah verses can be found here which "Conservative" Christians use to validate their hate of all that's different. In the book of Deuteronomy, "No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the Lord" (23:1). A similar passage in Leviticus declares that "no one who has a blemish shall draw near" the sanctuary, including one with "crushed testicles" (21:18-20).

What is clear is the there are a number of men who presumed to speak on god and Christianity's behalf. Some were exclusionary going as far as to exclude a person with a blemish but in my opinion the vast majority of Christians welcome all who have "Blemishes" and most understand our diversity as gods blessing.

Jesus teaches welcomes and acknowledges the difficulties cisgender people would have in understanding transgender people. In Mathew 19:11 and 12 He said to his followers, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given 12: For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."

I believe that passage was a 'post-it-note' from Christ just before he began his accession and not as many have come to believe a clarification on marriage. There is no reference to marriage contained within it, only a effort to help his more Conservative followers understand transgender people.

After Christ was crucified true to his promise God made his will be known thru the holy spirit by saving a transgender man after he had been rejected by the Conservative Christians after trying to be baptised in Jerlusem. Acts 8:26-40 Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch God commands a Philip a successful pastor to travel down the road leading to Gaza. This road was a desert road rift with criminals, without a doubt a road less traveled.

I believe this was the original occurrence of what has become universally understood within the transgender community as our road less travelled. Our path is one less taken but one that we share. We have community with each other. Its what keeps us together when sometimes hate surrounds us. When we see our family slain. When we share joy.

Taking this one step further I believe when Philip and the Eunuch were brought together it was for more than just their benefit, it was for every transgender person who followed.

Know this my transgender family. You are beloved by God, Christ and the Holy Spirit.

No comments: