11/22/12

Maine Court Ruling Denies 5th Grade Trans Student Her Right To Life

Transgender 5th Grader's Ostracizing Saddens Dad, could have ruined his daughter but delights the School's Lawyer.

RSU 26 attorney Melissa Hewey says the school was doing everything in its power to help the child, and meet the needs of the other children at the school. She is happy the judge agreed.
"That's the part of the decision that my clients and I are particularly pleased about," Hewey said. "Because from our perspective the school went above and beyond to try to help this child and to try to help the family, and to be accused of doing something less was really hard on my clients, and it was really a good feeling to have the judge vindicate them." - WCSH Portland
Was I so horrible?
I can tell you from my own experience how cruel and dangerous a school can become when as an adult I was restricted to using the facility bathroom. As part of my transitioning plan in 2007 I enrolled in a medical school but was devastated after being misgendered constantly by the instructors. So I complained, and within days seemingly out of retribution, I was told I could no longer use the women's room by the administration.
That public accommodations denial did nothing to abate the harassment, only made it worst. Instructors and students emboldened by the administrations decision continued to misgender me and when I was out of earshot of others they started whispering threats, tripping me and poking me hard in the back mimicking knife attacks in the hallways.
This makes me sick. This woman is portraying the adult oppressors as victims? What of the Child's life for crying out loud? I think the supreme court ought to seriously consider whether the school's administrators should retain there jobs. I ended up quiting the school, remained un and underemployed to this day working as a cashier and in warehouses. I pray justice will be served for this Maine student and her family. She deserves the life transphobia denied me. Full story at WCSH 6

No comments: