12/3/11

Take off your Hat Kelli, It's not in the spirit of Christmas

Not in the spirit of Christmas. Those words floored me after hearing them from management at the Walmart I work at. Apparently a 'couple' of customers had complained about my hat. But whats 'wrong' with it? Well, I decorated as invited to do and printed the words in pink lettering "Santa's Transgender Helper". As you can see from my picture taken on a much better day, the lettering is faint and the whole message is impossible to read unless I wanted someone to.

I had only shared the message with a few friends, a couple of my supervisors who appeared to enjoy it.

But what made me cry is to think people are so very hateful and disdainful of the true meaning of Christmas as to use it as a weapon. This hat was my celebration of my love for our store and our customers. A coming out if you will.

Not in the spirit of Christmas? I beg to differ. Truly I do. I believe love, acceptance of diversity and a desire to be at peace with the earth is what Jesus Christ taught and died for.

I threw my hat out after hearing those words and left cursing this hate filled pathetic town. But after a couple good cries I began to put things into context. I was hired at this store in 2009 and that was a huge deal. People came from near and far to gawk at me and sometimes to hate on me. But gradually I became more comfortable with the town and I sincerely believed it was mutual.

Be it as it may all this drama doesn't change this: My hat has everything to do with the spirit of Christmas, the one forgotten by so many. Love, hope and peace on earth.

Merry Christmas Mansfield Texas.

No comments: